No doubt, its the product of our modern lifestyle and consumerism. The garbage island is basically a gyre of marine litter.
We create, but we do not have a fool's idea of how to destroy it properly. Recycling can go a long way in saving flora and fauna in the region and maintain a balanced ecosystem.
Something needs to be done about it.
Something must be done, do you realize how many people are unaware of the 'The Great Garbage Patch'? I was eating dinner with friends and family recently and we were discussing the Earthquake and Tsunami that recently rocked Japan. And I asked the table if they thought that the recent events in Japan had any effect on the Great Garbage Patch. They all just starred at me like I was speaking...
The Great Pacific Garbage Patch, aka the Pacific Trash Vortex is located in the North Pacific Ocean. The area is twice the size of Texas and was discovered in 1998. About 80% of the trash comes from land based sources and the other 20% comes from ships. Currents carry the debris from the west coast of North America and from the east coast of Asia.
Developed and Designed by NXFX
Disclaimer - The posting of stories, commentaries, reports, documents and links (embedded or otherwise) on this site does not in any way, shape or form, implied or otherwise, necessarily express or suggest endorsement or support of any of such posted material or parts therein.